I wouldn't trust your description of any of us."
(Katherine Brook) Anne of Green Gables, the movie
I don't really feel that way.
My sister has been reading The Host by Stephenie Meyer. She was talking about hearing something the author said about having lots of stories inside her head. We are both amazed because that's just not the kind of heads we have.
My brother told me that I should write and illustrate a children's book. I'll keep the topic secret in case I eventually decide to do it. I think it's funny that he said that because it would be great to write and publish a book, but even when I think real hard about the topic, nothing comes to mind. When I leave the topic alone, nothing floats into my mind. I might be a hopeless case.
I am amazed as I think about some of the authors my kids and I have been reading aloud and listening to on CD. Some of the ideas we hear about are rehashes. Some of them are brilliant rehashes, but rehashes nonetheless. Some authors, namely Andrew Clements, have the cleverest ideas I've come across in modern children's literature. Of course, that's just my opinion. They aren't classics (yet), but they should be. Clements is particularly wonderful because he creates believable characters that are honest, smart, and good leaders. We've listened to Room One: A Mystery or Two, No Talking, and we are a few chapters into Frindle. The reader for those first two is exceptional and we were all a little bummed when Frindle started with a different reader.
So the thing I'd like to understand is how authors and poets and artists, even, get the ideas into their heads. I'm a little jealous.
Speaking of authors, one of my sons wrote this spectacular poem at school.
Sea Shell
There are 30 flys
That never stop flying
Making watery sounds
In a shell.
He may be one of those with stories floating in his head. WOW!!
No comments:
Post a Comment