Sunday, June 15, 2008

A Sunday Evening Post

These guys (lady bug larvae):



And these guys (painted lady caterpillars):



are both in the "nap" stage of their existence. Soon they will break out of their pupal state/chrysalis state and become the beautiful creatures nature intended them to be. Did you know that when you bother a chrysalis they actually shake? I think it's to ward off predators. Seems to me that some predators might be attracted by that?

My kids have been spoiled this first week off school by a nature walk, a trip to the library, a trip to the zoo, a trip to the beach and a trip to the local science museum. Sariah would like to know where we are going next. I would like to know when I can have a nap!

May cried last night because she didn't want to sing with the other Primary kids in the sacrament meeting program for Father's Day. With her dad away for the weekend, she just couldn't bear to sing. I told her "no problem." I don't do sacrament meeting alone. My two youngest each need an adult in that meeting.

We are all so intrigued by the world of birds. Nathan now knows that an "ornithologist" is a scientist who studies birds. Currently he's more drawn to this world than to the world of marine biology. He's reading a 1000+ page book about birds, taking snap shots, trying to coax them to eat out of his hand, making plans for bird feeders and drooling over the birds that visit other people feeders. We're hoping to make some new sightings this summer at the local nature center. All of my kids are trying their hand at drawing. Nathan and May can sketch a bird faster than I can. That's what comes of practice.

Here are some images from the last week or so.

Our own house and yard:








Nature walk:





Painted turtle

Damsel fly
The zoo:

Bear cat (Binturong)



Peafowl







3 comments:

  1. You've had a very busy week! I hope you take some time to relax at some point, but I'm sure the kids are loving all the adventures. Those are some really great pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would need a nap too. We have been staying home. But, I also like to take my kids to experience different things. Maybe when I get back??? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cindi - great pictures - i got your blog address from your email - i love your family photo too.

    barb miller

    ReplyDelete