Before 1957, the upper and lower peninsulas of Michigan were not connected and ferries were the only way to go back and forth between the two. On November 1, 1957, the Mackinac Bridge (also known as the Big Mac or Mighty Mac) opened. If you go here and read the section called 'Length', there's a lot of technicality explaining why it may or may not be the longest suspension bridge around (this Wikipedia link also includes a lot of pictures of the bridge). Suffice it to say, it's one of the longest suspension bridges in the world. The bridge crosses the Straits of Mackinac, which is where Lake Michigan and Lake Huron meet.

Every year, on Labor Day, one half of the bridge is opened to foot traffic. Other than that, no pedestrians or bikes are allowed on the bridge. Ever since I heard about this tradition, I have wanted to participate. However, the timing isn't great because it's about four hours from our home and school starts the next day. We've never walked the bridge.
I got the great idea this year to go and walk the bridge alone. Just before leaving I had a conversation with my friend, Sue, who told me that she's never had any inclination to walk the bridge due to her fear of heights.

I have a fear of heights as well, but didn't think it would be an issue for me.
As I was nearing the bridge, I stopped on an I-75 rest stop. This particular rest stop had a small hike up to an overlook. I figured, why not, a good excuse to get the blood flowing. The overlook was a platform built up to view across the highway. There was a body of water surrounded by trees (we are talking Michigan, after all). What happened to me up on that platform still gives me the shudders to think about. Due to my very unlucky fear of heights, I got electric nerve impulses to the ends of my fingers and to the ends of my toes that hurt badly. Enough that I had to get outta there quick.
A few miles later, I drove over the bridge and had the same experience, though slightly less painful. That bridge never bothered me when Joseph was driving.

Needless to say, I DID NOT walk the bridge on Labor Day. This just isn't my year to overcome my fear of heights, I guess!

Cindi,
ReplyDeleteI am sorry to hear that your fear of heights got the better of you. (Although I hyperventilate just thinking of walking over that bridge!) I have never driven over it & close my eyes when I'm a passenger!
I hope you enjoyed your time alone anyway.
Beautiful pictures of the bridge.
Sue
Maybe someday it will work out. I'm very impressed you took some alone time to do something you wanted to do.
ReplyDeleteI could never walk the bridge. It terrifies me! I am amazed that you tried, alone too! It is a really beautiful bridge and drive up to it. Kind of awe inspiring!
ReplyDelete