Sunday, October 19, 2008

Store-bought vs. Home-made

I usually buy most of our milk at the corner store. It's more expensive that way, but I think it saves money in the long run because we don't pick up other extras (unless you count the cider and donuts, chocolate bars...). When you buy a gallon of milk, you can get a loaf of their bread for $0.40. Now, this bread is not high quality at all, but I figure it makes toast or sandwich bread when I don't have any quality bread or home-made rolls. The other morning, I decided to use one of these loaves to make french toast. I pulled a stack out of the bag and placed it on the stove-top near my bowl of egg & milk mixture. I could make three slices at a time in my frying pan. By the time three had cooked, the top slice on my pile was already drying out!

About a day later, I sliced up a loaf of home-made bread. I gave a piece to Brigham as a mid-morning snack. About an hour later, we went for a walk. Brigham had left most of this piece of bread on the table. By the time we got back, about an hour and a half later, I figured his bread would be dried out. I was surprised to find that the bread was as moist as when I got it out of the bag.

My favorite bread baking book is The Laurel's Kitchen Bread Book. It was introduced to me about eleven years ago by a friend. I love the methods uses for whole grain bread baking and the recipes are wonderful! I'll be using it more often!

3 comments:

  1. That looks like a good book. Have you started using your new wheat grinder? (I know it isn't that new anymore) I finally got over the dread of using it for the first time and love it. I still haven't gotten in a regular habit of making my own whole wheat bread though and want to. Do you have a favorite recipe or any tips on making bread? Maybe I should just read the book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My favorite bread book is The Bread Bakers Apprentice by Peter Reinhart. It really is the best one out there right now. It is a year or two old now, but he has great techniques that I have found work in my own kitchen!

    I have a great wheat bread recipe that is super easy. It only takes a couple of hours from start to finish to make. ~H

    ReplyDelete
  3. This reminds me of when I was homeschooling Exacto, and we were studying the mummies of ancient Egypt. We did an experiment to illustrate how embalming helped preserve the mummies. We used white Wal-mart bread, leaving one slice totally untouched, and the other received anti-biotic ointment to preserve it. The idea was to watch how mold would begin first on the untouched bread.
    A MONTH LATER. . . ahem. Neither slice had any mold! Ya gotta love those preservative-packed storebought foods. Makes me wonder what it does to my insides!
    We've never tried it with homemade bread--I can't stand to see any of it go to waste! :)

    ReplyDelete