The other night I was having some trouble sleeping and so I decided to come out to the couch to sleep. That sometimes helps me. I noticed that the computer was on and came over to turn it off. As I was walking back to the couch, I tripped over the rocking chair. There really isn't anywhere to keep the rocking chair, but we don't want to get rid of it. It tends to just sit out in the middle of the room. I gave myself a pretty nasty bruise and rather than yell (all were asleep), I started thinking creatively. "I should make a list of all the things I trip over, " I thought. And it kept me going until the pain subsided.
1. Books. My library card which allows 50 books to be checked out is always maxed. My kids all have a card and will usually have between 5-10 books checked. That's a lot of books. They get spread all over the floor.
2. Hot Wheels cars. Brigham loves these things and is usually carting 2-5 cars around with him all the time, leaving them here and there when he picks others up. Definitely something I trip over.
3. Shoes. Our side entryway comes in on a landing. Just to the left, there are two steps up to the kitchen. We use this place to dump our shoes. There are usually anywhere from10-20 pairs of shoes sitting around that area. It can be deadly when I'm carrying the laundry basket downstairs to sort laundry!
4. Clothing. Do your kids just strip their socks off and leave them all over, or change in the middle of the living room and just dump the cloths there waiting for the laundry fairy to pick them up?
5. Cello. Oh no! We have no where safe to keep Nathan's cello. I keep it on top of my bed during the day, but at night we have to set it on the floor. I'm constantly saying, "Be careful of the cello." "Watch out for the cello!" One day I was finishing making my bed and placed the cello on the bed as Nathan was walking in the room. "What?" he said, "Why was that on the floor?" "Do you want me to sleep with it on my bed all night?" I asked. Never, never trip over a cello. Costly mistake.
6. Rocks. There will never be enough rocks in my house it seems. With our crushed limestone driveway and occasional trips to look for and collect rocks and fossils, the kids are constantly bringing new piles of rocks in the house. I will find piles of rocks on the floor of the living room, bedrooms, on top of dressers, on the bathroom counter, kitchen counter, washing machine. You name it, every surface has been home to a rock at one time or another.
7. Train tracks and accessories. Being a two year old boy, Brigham loves that stuff. I try to keep this only to his room, so I only have to trip on that when I take my sleeping boy up to his bed each night in the dark.
8. Basement storage room....Don't even get me started on that!!
So, what do you trip over at your house? :)
Tuesday, October 14, 2008
Various things I'm liable to trip over
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Marbles! Really don't enjoy those things.
ReplyDeleteThere are two things that I trip over:
ReplyDelete1.) My coffee table (which is not used for coffee)
2.) My hammock
LOL!!! Never trip over a cello...that's hilarious. I trip over Legos mostly, but sometimes green army men. Those hurt! And I'm with ya on the rock thing. I started making my kids put them in little ziploc bags but I don't know why I thought that would help. I just have little plastic bags of rocks all over the house now.
ReplyDeleteAaah, we have the rock problem solved. We have rocks in our landscaping & we have one section devoted to the precious rocks we find elsewhere! Keeps them out of the house.
ReplyDeleteBut, I trip over shoes, backpacks, books, swim bags, cats & dogs.
Sue
Shoes. Always shoes. Or Brandon's camelbak, or his work bag, but usually shoes.
ReplyDeleteYou can get FIFTY books? Our max is 35 and mine is usually maxed, Adam's too. The others usually have about 10-15. So yes, we trip over books. And clothes. In the girls' room dolls. In the boys' room shoes and legos. People are always dragging the bar stools around the house (to get into candy in the kitchen cupboards and for extra computer chairs usually), so those too.
ReplyDeleteYou can get FIFTY books? Our max is 35 and mine is usually maxed, Adam's too. The others usually have about 10-15. So yes, we trip over books. And clothes. In the girls' room dolls. In the boys' room shoes and legos. People are always dragging the bar stools around the house (to get into candy in the kitchen cupboards and for extra computer chairs usually), so those too.
ReplyDeleteMostly I trip over my oxygen tube. It's a 50-foot line and it's always getting twisted around my ankle. (My mother calls it my pipeline.) Otherwise I trip on anything that's on the floor because I never look down.
ReplyDeleteKendalyn is always bringing me beautiful rocks she picks up. So I decided to make a rock collection, starting with the polished rocks you get in, well, everywhere. Then we got an amethyst geode piece at the planetarium. We stopped at a rock shop in Spencer, Idaho, the home of a large opal mine. The owners of the shop were also owners of an opal claim. The opals were entirely too expensive to buy, but we did get some ore. Also a slice of jade that looks black, but when you hold it up to the light it's a beautiful green. Also a piece of obsidian with something reddish brown in it. At Mountain Meadow we picked up a small piece of pumice and another rock that was sort of pink with quartz in it. I took apart a turquoise pendant I never wear and put it in the pile. Oh, and yesterday I got a large red jade bead and one they call cotton candy jade and a gorgeous flat piece that looks like aventurine mixed with something grayish brown. It looks like a landscape. And a nice piece of mother of pearl. The rocks live in a swan. I think it's a lovely collection. I hope Kendalyn likes it, but maybe she'll prefer her own rocks. Who knows?