Monday, February 2, 2009

The Old Age of the Earth


The earth is 4.5 billion years old.

All life on earth shares a common ancestor.

Humans and apes share a common ancestor.




What comes to mind for you when you hear those ideas? How do you feel? How do you feel about your kids learning about it in school? Why? Do you consider yourself educated on the subject? Why or why not?

3 comments:

  1. What comes to mind?

    "Oh no, not another battle between groups that are not willing to think for a moment that the other might have something important to say!"
    -----------------------------------
    How do I feel?

    Grateful to no longer wonder whether the science will threaten my spirituality if I dig deeply.
    -----------------------------------
    How do I feel about my kids learning about it in school? Why?

    I hope that they get a teacher who focuses on the science. I am also excited that in Michigan, my kids will be required to look at it from a scientific viewpoint, and that other viewpoints not based in science would need to be taught in some other subject (such as social studies...)
    -----------------------------------
    Do you consider yourself educated on the subject? Why or why not?

    Pretty well for a social scientist, but not as well as I would like.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe this sounds odd, but I never even thought to struggle spiritually when exposed to these ideas for the first time.
    My grandpa was a professor of anthropology, and we had many books at home that discussed those types of ideas.
    Yet, I never remember thinking, "Well, what about Adam and Eve?" It was more like, "Yeah, some people think that we descended from monkeys, but I know that the first people were Adam and Eve."
    At BYU evolution theory is taught freely. I've always thought that it makes sense that Heavenly Father works miracles through natural laws. It doesn't have to be creationism vs. evolution, necessarily, unless the idea of evolution precludes a Divine Creator. Why can't the Divine Creator create evolution? :)
    I'm like Joseph, too, in that I would like to be more educated on this.
    Hope you enjoyed the peek into my brain. ha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not very educated on the subject, yet. I don't mind children studying evolution, but it does bother me that it is often the only option presented. It's rather unscientific to only explore one option. What did you think of the video, The Young Age of the Earth?

    ReplyDelete