Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Remember How I Told You About Spring in the Forest?


You don't? Well, I guess I don't talk about it enough. I never understood the old hymn that says that the woodlands are fairer than the meadows. This was until I experienced Spring in the forest.

Last year, in the Upper Peninsula, we would see forests where as far as the eye could see, there were forget-me-nots or trillium. Other times it was yellow and orange hawkweed mixed with daisies. Or, it might be garden lupine in three colors.

But, even here in central Michigan, we get some really nice wildflowers. My flower beds are neglected because I'd rather be in the woods!

Today, the kids and I did a little walk just to see the trillium in bloom on a hillside near our home. It's an amazing sight and something I don't know how to capture on camera to convey it in photo form.

These first two photos are just shots of the hillside to give you an idea of how many are there. It is a steep hill, over fifty feet high and goes on about the length of a football field (just a guess, I'm not great with measurements):



Here is a close-up that gives a better idea of what a trillium looks like if you aren't familiar:

Here's a close-up I took last year at trillium time:


And these are a different type of flower we saw today, just to give you an idea of what the forest floor is like right now. There are also places just covered with a flower that looks like a yellow star:



Here is the row of turtles we saw today, plus the leopard frog Brigham spotted on his own the other day (he sometimes identifies birds by name before I can!):



There's so much to be grateful for!!

4 comments:

  1. Gorgeous pictures! I want to come visit and just walk in the woods for hours and draw and think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bet you've got some nice wildflowers down where you live. We didn't really start looking at them and searching for them until last year. It's a nice hobby because flowers can't fly or run away while you identify them with your field guide! :) I didn't know that you draw. How cool!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Springtime in the woods is really the best time of the year. But, then, after the heat of the summer I love the fall in the woods too :)

    ReplyDelete