In March, we had the opportunity to travel to CMU and hear the world-renowned chimpanzee researcher, Jane Goodall, give a speech. We've listened to some of her books, watched documentaries and talked about her. It was such a treat to sit as close as we did and see her speaking in "real life." Wow! If you ever get that opportunity, don't pass it up. Jane spends 300 days of every year traveling to raise awareness about Chimpanzees, Africa, conservation, and the program for youth she piloted called "Roots and Shoots." Oh, and Jane Goodall also speaks about hope, which is a message everyone needs to hear. Jane's version of hope is especially good for those who feel depressed and despondent about what we humans have done to our only home, Earth.
I'd love to be able to say that I'd attended a lecture or hike with John Muir. I was born in the wrong century for that. I've also read his works, watched documentaries about him and talked about his philosophies with my kids. John Muir, the great conservationist (said with reverence, as he is one of my true heroes). You can see the spark in his eyes in photographs! We were out walking one day earlier this spring and I was watching the tops of the budding Tamarack trees sway back and forth in the wind. I suddenly understood why John Muir climbed a pine tree in a gale and rode out the storm in the top of the tree. I spend a lot of time observing myself observing nature and not enough time just BEING part of it. John Muir inspires the BEING part of myself.
So, what do John Muir and Jane Goodall have in common? I'm sure that beyond their great conservation efforts, they have a lot in common, but I noticed a small commonality. This is a connection I only realized lately and one I'd like to emulate. John Muir used to pack some bread in his pack and head off into the mountains, sometimes for days. Jane Goodall would get up the mornings, eat some bread and then head to the hills in Gombe to observe her Chimpanzees. Why is it that we need all of the trappings of modern life carried in a pack with us whenever we go out, including energy bars, GORP, crackers, gourmet camp food etc. I love the simplicity in their chosen meal. It wasn't about the food, it was about being out in nature. It was about BEING.
I continue to struggle in making good food choices. I've got the exercise portion down, but not the food. That's probably why the food choices of Jane Goodall and John Muir caught my attention recently.
Update: Elijah turned 11 yesterday. For his birthday, we went to Fenner Nature Center and pulled invasive species for two hours (his idea, I'm so proud!) and went on a bird walk. We had a family dinner and then the older set of kids and myself went to U of M Dearborn for another short bird walk and then a Moth presentation by the co-author of a new book on Northeastern Moths. The author brought black lights and a mercury light set up near a hanging sheet. Those who attended the presentation were encouraged to bottle the moths for identification.
Saturday, we attended a Salamander Walk in Hudson Mills Metropark. It was so exciting to see four species of salamanders. We've been searching for them for over a year now and hadn't found any on our own. With a big group, we were able to see many specimens and four species--Four-toed, Red-backed (and lead-backed), Spotted, and Blue-spotted.
Monday, April 30, 2012
Jane Goodall and John Muir
Labels:
inspiring people
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment