Thursday, January 3, 2013

2012

I turned 40 in 2012.  To someone older, I realize that 40 doesn't sound old.  It doesn't even sound that old to me.  That might be because I accomplished my best physical feat last year: backpacking the Lakeshore Trail along Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore with Elijah (43 miles).  It might also be because I like my life so well.  I was thinking that through the last few days.  Other than being fat (Angie told me not to say that, just to say that I have a few pounds to shed), I don't think there's a single thing I'd change about my life right now.

In 2012:

**Four kids took art lessons
**Four kids participated in the MSU Choirs program
**Three kids played instruments (cello, flute, viola)
**We attended Ohio Young Birders Club nearly every month
**We attended Jr. Audubon whenever possible
**We saw Jane Goodall speak at CMU
**We saw Lee Stetson in the form of John Muir speak at Meijer Gardens
**Three kids attended "Choir camp" at Ithaca College in Ithaca, NY
**We camped for five weeks in the U.P. and hiked over 115 miles (including Brigham).  We saw corners of the U.P. that we haven't seen yet (!!) and added other areas to our wish list
**Nathan completed his Young Birder of the Year modules including a conservation/community project that took over 300 hours of his time and about the same of mine
**Nathan received the Carl G. Fenner award at the Fenner Volunteer lunch, quite an accomplishment for someone his age (http://www.lansingstatejournal.com/viewart/20121212/COMM11/212120301/Sixteen-Year-old-Given-Carl-G-Fenner-Outstanding-Volunteer-Award)
**May started theater class and found that she really likes theater
**Elijah planned, saved for and executed his first backpacking trip
**I crocheted several afghans, made lots of cupcakes, pies, and even curtains for a classroom
**We all added to our bird "Life Lists"
**We planned future trips to Florida, Maine, South Dakota, Isle Royale (Nathan and I are backpacking there this August), and started planning our three month "Epic Western States Trip 2014"
**Sariah planned her bird-day party coming up later this month
**Brigham continued to astound us with his math prowess
**Joseph built several platform feeders for the birds and made a cool whiteboard for bird reports at Fenner
**I trapped 72 House Sparrows
**We listened to quite a few books on tape/CD, but not as many as usual.  My reading list was also shorter this year
**We attended Family Weekend at Earthworks Farm and really hope to go back
**We attended concerts by our favorite MI folk singers May Erlewine, Seth Bernard and Joshua Davis
**Nathan, May and Elijah submitted artwork, photos and writing to Golden-wings, the OYBC's newsletter.  Nathan also submitted his work to Fenner for their blog and use in their center.
**Nathan and Elijah did a Michigan Big Year, in which they tried to see as many birds in Michigan as they could.  Nathan ended the year with 261 and Elijah, 236.
**Sariah created amazing art with paint, clay, wax (seriously amazing)
**Brigham read most of the Harry Potter series
**We attended Capital Area Audubon meetings and field trips
**Nathan was awarded a partial scholarship to attend Hog Island Teen Camp in Maine
**Four kids got new cameras and I still have my same one!
**May crocheted a blanket for her 2nd grade intern's baby
**beach trips, birding trips, hiking trips, etc.


2 comments:

  1. WOW, that's A LOT. Funny because I keep thinking about our recent conversation about New Years Resolutions :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are proof that you don't have to write things down to get them done.

    PS I like how you didn't mention what you did with the 72 sparrows that you captured.

    ReplyDelete