Tuesday, January 29, 2013

The Steel Wheels


Rain in the Valley by The Steel Wheels from Stephen Kniss on Vimeo.


Here they are.  The Steel Wheels.

Here in the Lansing area, there's a group called Ten Pound Fiddle.  During nine months of the year they bring in country/blues/bluegrass/folk music groups and individuals for concerts weekly.  We've gone to hear our favorite Michigan singers, but haven't ventured outside that sphere.

When I got the Ten Pound Fiddle email last week, I clicked on the video and after watching, decided we had to try it out.  Joseph and I took Nathan to this concert on Friday.  Trent Wagler and the Steel Wheels are phenomenal!  I love seeing/hearing live music and hearing the stories behind the songs and into the artists' lives.

I love the music video of one of the last songs the group sang Friday evening.  Trent told the story of his grandpa who grew up Amish.  As you probably know, the Amish are not allowed to play music instruments, except the harmonica.  Trent's grandfather loved music and had an underground Amish group.  He eventually left the Amish because of his love of music, among other things.

The song is called Red Wing.  It is also endeared to me for having a bird in it:



No comments:

Post a Comment