Friday, November 15, 2013

Woah! You're fasting for what??

I got notification in my Facebook feed today about an event taking place right now.

You see, one of the largest typhoons on record hit the Philippines last week.  We are moving into the most uncertain time there has been since an asteroid crashed into the earth and the extinction of a large percentage of the species on Earth ensued.  We are approaching many tipping points for the climate of the globe.

One of these tipping points is the temperature of the oceans.  The sea temperature has risen on a global scale.  We've heard about the melting arctic ice and the melting glaciers, but what about an ocean that is only 0.1 degrees Celsius warmer than previous records?  Warmer water makes for larger storms since it more readily changes to vapor.  You can read more about problems with warm water here.

Right after this horrendous storm hit land, negotiators from countries around the globe met in Warsaw, Poland to discuss Climate Change and negotiate change in the way that we are coursing carbon into the atmosphere.

Naderev Saño, from the Philippines gave a powerful speech.  You can cut off a little bit and start at 4:25 or so.  Please do take the time to watch.  Yeb Saño was directly affected by this storm.  The speech is emotional and compelling.

It is hard for me to put words to how I feel about the topic of climate change.  I only know that I refused to pay attention initially and I now wish I had been paying attention all along.  I can't even imagine what my kids will live through.  It is heartbreaking.

I have decided to join Naderev Saño in his hunger strike via this Facebook event.  I will break my fast when he does (liquids only).

If you are someone who has not paid full attention to climate change, or even someone who has outright denied it, I beg you to learn about it.  We are in this together, but it is truly for our youngest generation, who did not participate in making the decisions about fossil fuel usage, but will pay for it, that I make this protest.  Additionally, it is those with the least resources/least fossil fuel usage (i.e. Philippines) around the globe who often pay the highest price.

I would love it if anyone reading this blog would join in the fast.  You can fast from sun-up to sun-down one day or multiple days.  You can fast for one 24 hour period.  Or you can fast for several 24 hour periods.

This is not a fast in the religious sense.  This is a fast in the protest sense.  However, if you are religious it could be a huge extra benefit to pray while fasting.


1 comment:

  1. I love that you are so passionate about this and are working so hard to educate others.

    ReplyDelete